Monday, April 9, 2007

Daffodil Cake

In honor of Easter, I made a Daffodil Cake (this isn't the recipe I used, but it's very similar and I'm sure just fine). This is, essentially, a white sponge cake with some yellow sponge cake batter plopped in here and there to look like bursts of yellow flowers. I should have take a picture of it when cut, because it really does resemble beautiful yellow and white flowers.

It's just slightly different than making an angel food cake. I'm not really sure what the difference is, actually. But, it's a little moister and maybe a little more flavorful. And the yellow cake splotches here and there add more moisture and flavor. It's a really nice spring cake, would be cute for a kid's birthday party.

To make it, you need an angel food cake pan, and I'd go with a fluffier frosting than what I used. It was an old fashioned recipe and I wasn't crazy about the frosting (butter, powdered sugar and egg whites, plus some orange zest). This one might be better.

The flowers in the center are a nice touch. I happened to have a mini bud vase that fit perfectly in the hole in the center. Voila! Daffodil cake. A tad literal, perhaps, but still cute.



1 comment:

D'Arcy said...

Cute, indeed. I was going to try my pulla recipe for Easter, but forgot that my mother in law doesn't have her bread machine anymore. I'll let you know how that experiment goes.