Friday, October 26, 2007

Adventures in Juicing

We recently 'inherited' a juicer. I have no idea how to juice, but we decided to give it a try last night. I went to the store and bought a bunch of green stuff. Then... dove in.

OK, so I quickly learned that 1. you have to cut most veggies into slices that fit into the feed hole and 2. it's no use buying pre-cut greens (all they had at the store) because it takes forever to feed those little pieces into the juicer. But I figured it out, and pretty soon we had a cucumber-zucchini-celery-kale-garlic-lemon concoction to sip down.

Yes, I'm aware that it's in a beaker. That, plus the green, foamy-ness, is not lost on me.

It wasn't too bad! A little too much garlic, and the lemon was strong. It was kind of like a salad in a glass, complete with dressing. A garlicky Caesar salad in a glass. Yeah. The last few swallows were hard to get down.

But seriously, what a mess!

I tried it again this morning. No lemon, less garlic, less mess overall. It was much easier and tasted better, although I'm not sure I can do the garlic. I was going for the health factor, but it's hard for me to drink ANYTHING first thing in the morning, let alone a big green glass of garlicky juice. I think plain old green, without the garlic, would be a little easier.

More juicing adventures to come. However, for the initial try, I have to say it was pretty successful. After all, we didn't throw up or anything. And I did feel considerably more clear-headed than usual. So maybe there's something to this.

No comments: